I just got my hands on the Asus Zenfone Zoom a month back and I decided to try it out as Asus claims that this is the phone with best camera in the market today. I am an iphone 6 user and Apple claims that its camera is the best and I have had no questions about it. But I have recently been trying to find another phone that is not as expensive as the iphone for my travelling purposes but haven’t really been able to find one that can promise me good quality smartphone photography and videography.
So when I heard about the Asus Zenfone Zoom, I obviously wanted to try it out. Here are some pictures of how the phone looks and what I liked about it.
- I was very happy with its responsiveness, touch and ergonomics.
- I absolutely loved the leather like feel at the back. It’s like an inbuilt cover.
3. My hands are small and I have never been comfortable with the iphone plus so the size of the Zenfone was a concern but after holding it and using it for a month I had no complaints. It fit my hands perfectly though was heavier than what I am used to.
4. It had very sensible buttons on the side to take a video because many times you miss the moment when you want to take a video but end up taking a photograph.
5. Asus Zenphone Zoom boasts of a 3X optical zoom which is of great value to smartphone photography because an optical zoom essentially means that you will not lose picture quality not will your image become grainy / pixelated by zooming in to a scenario. I tried this feature and was extremely happy with the results. See the pictures below.
And after this initial test I decided to take the phone around the city and experience clicking pictures with it and test Asus’s claim that it is the phone with best camera in the market. These pictures were taken in Khan Market in the evening.
6. I quite liked the color, contrast and exposure.
7. The scenes below were high contrast with extremely bright sky as compared to the subject but the camera did pretty well as compared to most camera phones I have used including iphone 6.
8. The picture below is taken at dusk and I absolutely loved the colour and clarity that I got using the Asus Zenfone Zoom and its pretty capable camera.
9. It boasts of a class 4 image stabilisation and 0.03 sec ultrafast laser autofocus which seriously blew me away after I took the picture below from a moving car. The result was a crisp and clear photograph. I have to say, even the iphone 6s is not capable of shooting like this !
10. It is priced at INR 37,999 which is a great price for its camera capability ! You can buy Asus Zenfone Zoom here.
So, now the only question left to answer is whether Asus Zenfone Zoom can replace my DSLR. I would love to carry the Zenfone Zoom for travel related smartphone photography where using a DSLR really weighs down on me. The camera, for all purposes was found better than the iphone 6. For commissioned professional photography, of course, smartphone is never the way forward. But for all entry level DSLR hobbyists, you can just go in for the Asus Zenfone Zoom and click some amazing pictures !
To know more about its specs and features, you can watch the unboxing video of Asus Zenfone Zoom below.