Sri Lanka Visa on Arrival for Indian passport holders is given but a simple application or ETA needs to be obtained before landing in Sri Lanka for visa on arrival. First things first, lets answer some common questions.
Do I need a visa for Sri Lanka?
Yes, Indian citizens need a visa for Sri Lanka. All foreign nationals except Singapore, Maldives and Seychelles nationals intending to travel to Sri Lanka are required to apply for visathrough www.eta.gov.lk website. Below is a screenshot of the ETA website for Sri Lanka visa on arrival.
Steps to obtain Sri Lanka visa on arrival online
1. Go to the ETA website to obtain Sri Lanka visa on arrival
2. Select Language
3. Click on Apply and agree the terms & conditions to continue your application for Sri Lanka visa on arrival.
Sri Lanka Visa on Arrival application form
4. Click on individual, group or third party options under the subheads of Sri Lanka visa on arrival: tourist visa, business visa or transit visa.
5. Fill up all the basic information like Name, passport number, gender, address, nationality etc.
6. Under the children section, enable it if you are traveling with a minor who is endorsed on your passport. This has been discontinued in India as every minor now is required to have his/her own passport. So, leave this section blank without enabling it.
7. Select your reason for visit. Family if you have family there or tourist purposes if you’re traveling as a tourist and want to apply for a Sri Lanka visa on arrival.
8. The only extra information you need to have handy for applying for a tourist Visa is the ‘Address in Sri Lanka’. You can give the address of the hotel you’re tentatively going to be staying at.
Sri Lanka Visa on Arrival fee payment
9. The Sri Lanka tourist visa fees for Indian citizens is $20. Go ahead and make this payment via internet banking or credit / debit card.
Sri Lanka Visa on Arrival payment acknowledgement
10. You will receive a mail acknowledging the receipt of Sri Lanka on arrival visa fee for Indian citizens. See the image below for example.
Sri Lanka ETA approval
11. Don’t confuse this mail as approval of Sri Lanka visa on arrival. The ETA approval mail will come after this above mail. Sri Lanka ETA processing time is quite short usually – well under 2 hours. Mine took only 5 minutes. See image below for example of ETA approval for Sri Lanka visa on arrival.
12. In case you do not receive the approval mail, check your sri lanka visa status, here.You are not permitted to arrive in Sri Lanka until you receive the ETA Approval Notice. ETA Acknowledgement notice will not serve as the entry approval for your arrival to Sri Lanka. So carry the Sri Lanka ETA visa print along with you (the image above).
NOTE: It is possible to get a Sri Lank on arrival visa fee for indian is $25 but it is preferable to apply for ETA online to avoid any disappointment. You can see the table of fee structure for ETA fee for Sri Lanka below.
Sri Lanka Visa on Arrival Fee
|* Online * On Arrival|
You are NOT permitted to use this ETA for any other purpose. Ex: Business or Trade, Studying, NGO activities, Journalism, Meeting with Political Parties etc…
You must verify the above information to ascertain that they have been entered correctly. Further, in case of any inconstancy in the above particulars you are requested to pay again at the port of entry to obtain a fresh ETA.
In addition, you must ensure that the particulars of same travel document used for applying online visa is used for entering into Sri Lanka. In the event if you produce a travel document other than the one used for applying online visa, you are compelled to pay again at the port of entry to Sri Lanka to obtain a fresh ETA.
This ETA allows you to enter into Sri Lanka for the purpose mentioned above. Please produce your passport together with return air ticket and proof of sufficient funds to the Immigration officer at the port of entry to Sri Lanka. If you stay beyond 30 days, please report to the Visa Section of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, Colombo, Sri Lanka.